There are several reasons why you may not be able to connect to the POP3 server, and thus, not be able to check your email account(s) for new messages.
Use the following guideline to solve this sort of problem:
- Make sure you have a connection to the Internet. Verify this by visiting a website such as Google.
- Make sure your e-mail client is configured properly according to the instructions in your welcome email. This does not apply if you have checked for new e-mail before and have not changed your configurations since.
- Have you successfully connected to the email (POP3) server from this location before? In other words, are you trying to connect to the email (POP3) server for the first time or from a new location for the first time?
- Verify that you are not behind a firewall! If you are at work, this should be your first clue. If you find that you are behind a firewall, verify with the network administrator that port 110 is allowed. If it is not, this is the reason you cannot connect to the email (POP3) server.
- Call your ISP or whoever is providing you the connection to the Internet and verify that port 110 (POP3) is not denied. If it is, this is the reason you cannot connect to the email (POP3) server.
- Finally, log into your Control Panel, and click the server name where your domain is hosted. Verify that email (POP3) service is not currently unavailable.
If you get this far and are still unable to connect, try to connect to another email (POP3) server that you may access to, such as your ISPs email (POP3) server. At this point, the problem is most likely on your computer